Tickets available on the door.
A Celebration of
West Australian Seafood & Wine
PORT BEACH, NORTH FREMANTLE
The second Fish & Sips Festival is on sale and scheduled for the weekend of March 29th, 30th & 31st.
Fish & Sips Festival is the perfect combination of food and festive atmosphere in what is the most quintessential WA location. The festival showcases the best of WA seafood with our finest local chefs to bring you an array of seafood dishes like you’ve never seen. We combine this with the best of WA’s wineries to complement the gourmet experience.
Entertainment will run all day starting with mermaids swimming in from the beach for the kids in the morning to live music on the beach stage and chilled DJ sets on the beach. The full program will all be revealed over the coming weeks.
Here is a summary of all the food and wine, see individual restos for more detail.
The initial menus are now in; the unique taster token system will allow patrons to try $3 Uma fish and chips, then walk across the alleyway to Young George for their signature Mojama or a $3 Albany rock oyster.
Melissa Palinkas will cooking a degustation dinner as well as her signature “By-catch-by-the-sea” long table lunch.
· Line caught sustainable Fish ceviche, buttermilk, lime, pickled tomatillo, fresh jalapeno, crispy tostada
· Mojama, (cured & smoked tuna) tomato, olive oil, YG saltbush focaccia
· BBQ Cuttlefish spiced bread sauce/lemon/capers
Alejandro Saravia will be in town doing his famous “History of Ceviche Masterclass”, yes, the one the chefs of Perth sign up for!
· UMA Fish and Chips - Albany Sardines fillet battered with Hills St lager, potato chips, creamy tartare sauce, and tarragon vinegar
· UMA Fish Sandwich - Albany Deep Sea Grenadier fillet seasoned with six spices mix, tropical slaw and fermented red chilli sauce served on a Peruvian style brioche
· UMA Ceviche bowl - Abrolhos Islands Pink Snapper, spiced mash potato, avocado puree, charred sweet corn and caramelised sweet potato.
The masters of Bangkok street food will be hitting the sand with some spicy specials.
· Sour orange curry of fish (Nannygai)
· Glass noodle salad with Thai street style squid and prawns
Kailis Bros Leederville
The “seafood tradition” themselves will be cooking their signature Charred marinated Fremantle Octopus on the BBQ, Greek style.
· BBQ Fremantle Octopus with charred leek and latho lemano
· Thai Fish Cakes with spicy jungle salad
Leigh Power will be hanging his Yum Cha crown on the beach with a selection of his favourites.
· WA Goldband snapper, turmeric coconut cure, wonton crisp
· Shark Bay prawn dumplings, smoked chilli and lemongrass dressing (
· Prawn and Sweet corn fritters, chilli caramel, ginger nuoc cham, asian herb salad
Stuart Laws Clam Shack
Stu will be bringing his southern style to the Festival. Watch out also for Stuart on the beach cooking up his Louisiana broil of crustaceans.
· Clams ceviche
· Garlic butter clams (Shark Bay Diamond Clams)
· Clams in black bean sauce (Shark Bay Pippis)
Pinchos Bar de Tapas
Justin Bell has trained some of the best seafood chefs seen in WA, and brings the Spanish and Portuguese “Chiringuito” touch to the beach.
· Bomba de bacalao saffron potato, mojo picon
· Marinated Mendolia sardine on toast, fennel, zucchini & green olive salad, chilli, pine nut, currant and Px dressing
· Moorish 'seafood pintxo' kebab, tahini yoghurt, romesco and mojo
Cook and Mason
Gordon will be showing everyone who is the real master of the beach BBQ, with his larger than life style.
· Marinated WA whitebait
· Half shell scallops and whole blue crabs on the BBQ
We were full, but when Helm wanted in we had to make way! They will be doing a pop-up on Saturday both sessions with chef Matt Powell replicating their Top 20 Dishes in Australia dish with:
· Half Barbecue WA Marron, chilli, garlic, lemon and burnt butter.
Never before have so many seafood degustation’s happened in the one place and time, and what a line-up. More tastings on offer than you can poke a fish at!
The number one ticketholder of the Fish and Sips Festival, will be doing her $45 “three fish meet three chardonnays” degustation dinner. On the menu;
· Scallops, Half shell, saffron butter
· Whiting- Tempura, shaved fennel
· Nannygai- caramelised eggplant, green goddess
Melissa from Young George is offering two styles of her signature degustations.
2 fish 2 wines.
Friday & Saturday night Dinner session 7pm
Join us in the dining room overlooking the stunning Indian Ocean as Melissa serves up two courses of delicious WA seafood matched with Walsh & Sons Margaret River premium wine.
Marinated white bait on toast, mustard leaves, pickled lemon, cucumber
Walsh & Sons little poppet
Smoked fish schnitzel, tartare, cabbage, mustard, pickles
Walsh & Sons Burnside Chardonnay
By Catch by the Sea
Saturday & Sunday lunch session 12.30pm-1.30pm
$50 pp includes 2 wines
4 small courses utilising species that get caught by accident!!
Bycatch, in the fishing industry, is a fish or other marine species that is caught unintentionally while catching certain target species and target sizes of fish, crabs etc. Bycatch is either of a different species, or is undersized or juvenile individuals of the target species.
Melissa brings her no waste policy to the create a menu made from WA fresh seafood in the wrong place at the wrong time.
1/Razor back prawn cocktail, gem lettuce cup, togarashi, dill
2/Cuttlefish, wild rice, potato, mustard leaves, pickled lemon
Howard Park Rose
3/Cuttlefish tentacle croquette, relish, mayo, dried tuna
4/Striped red prawn, bomba rice, burnt butter mayonnaise, capers
Howard Park Chardonnay
Join Sweetwater’s Chef Leigh Power as he and his team guide you through the art of all things Yum cha. He will have two options on offer;
Sweetwater Yum Cha by the Sea
A Yum Cha Tasting style event fully focused on WA seafood – Six items served in a shared style a la Sweetwater service styles- $35 inclusive of wine -2 tasting pours.
Dumpling Master Class
Hands on dumpling master class for up to 18 pax. Package includes 35minute tutorial on the making of two varieties of dumplings (All WA seafood), a dumpling recipe book, a tasting of your creations (served canapé/sharing style) with a glass of wine. Explore the art of dumpling rolling, using the best WA produce to teach home cooks the secret art of the dumpling.
Beach BBQ Sessions
Throughout the weekend special guest chefs will be appearing on the beach cooking signature items on the BBQ.
· On Friday, Gordon from Cook and Mason will be cooking crabs and Rottnest scallops
· Saturday has some special guest chefs coming through, announcement coming soon!
· Sunday kicks off with Amanda and Blake from MKR bringing you the best of Sealanes local catch
· Sunday sunset BBQ session features the great Stuart Laws with his signature Southern style fare
S-UP Tasting Garden.
The standup tasting garden will feature a unique style of tastings. Guests stand and deliver, with a variety of different intimate sessions hosted by one of our star chefs. With so much to see and do at the Festival, these short sharp sessions are designed to show you how quick and easy seafood cooking can be.
They all feature a talk from some of our amazing wineries who will match their wines to the dish.
Some of the sessions booked so far include;
· Sardines a la plancha, matched to Walsh and Sons natural wine with chef Gordon from Cook and Mason
· Matsos spicy beer batter class, making the perfect beer batter matched to the Spicy ginger beer
· Best of the West, three award winning WA wines presented by leading WA winemakers
Please note that menus may change as the Chefs take advantage of the freshest and best local ingredients closer to the day. As Theo Kailis says, tomorrows fish are still swimming!
The following Wineries will be bringing the taste of WA, chosen for their cross section of styles that epitomise WA and how well they match to our local catch! Again with the $3 token taster system you will be able to graze throughout the day tasting as many wines as time will allow.
Madfish & Howard Park
Swings and Roundabouts
Vinaceous & Reverend V
Walsh and Sons
More details will be released soon, about some exciting classes matching seafood and wine that start from $12!
Gage Roads will be building the best beach bar seen in Perth. Watch out for some exciting news on this and our Gin and Pimms Bar.